- This event has passed.
Joint Commission Hot Topics 2021: Advance Directives, Contracts, Grievances, Informed Consent, 2021 Changes and More
May 4 @ 8:00 am - 9:30 am MDT$160
Due to COVID-19, the registration fee is per individual hospital (not system) for this webinar. A single registration provides multiple lines for employees at your hospital, including a link to view the recording for 60 days post-webinar. Please only select a qty. of “1” under Registration and indicate the number of connections requested for your hospital when completing the Attendee information. The person completing the registration will be responsible for sharing the access information with others from your hospital who wish to participate.
Not sure if you’ll be able to make the live session? Everyone who registers will receive a link to the recording to view at their convenience at no additional charge for 60 days post-webinar.
This webinar will cover several need-to-know Joint Commission topics for 2021 including the new changes to the September 2020 and January 2021 Joint Commission standards. In addition, the session will detail the Joint Commission requirements for advance directives, contract management, grievances, informed consent, and more.
At the conclusion of this session, participants should be able to:
- Recall that the Joint Commission has two sections in the manual that address the issue of informed consent
- Cite that the Joint Commission requires hospitals to have an informed consent policy
- Describe that the Joint Commission has contract management standards, and that the hospital should evaluate every contract to ensure the performance indicators are met
- Recognize that the Joint Commission requires hospitals to provide patients with written information upon admission on advance directives
- Recall that the Joint Commission states that patients and families have a right to have a complain reviewed, the review must be completed in a timely manner
- Discuss the Joint Commission changes to the hospital standards in July and September of 2020
Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Nursing Officer, Compliance Officer, Joint Commission Coordinator, Quality Improvement personnel, Risk Manager, Legal Counsel
Laura A. Dixon, Bs, JD, RN, CPHRM, President, Healthcare Risk Education and Consulting, LLC
Laura A. Dixon is the president of Healthcare Risk Education and Consulting. She previously served as the Director, Facility Patient Safety and Risk Management and Operations for COPIC from 2014 to 2020. In her role, Ms. Dixon provided consultation and training to facilities, practitioners and staff in multiple states.
Ms. Dixon has more than 20 years of clinical experiences in acute care facilities, including critical care, coronary care, peri-operative services and pain management. Prior to joining COPIC, she served as the Director, Western Region, Patient Safety and Risk Management for The Doctors Company, Napa, California. In this capacity, she provided consultation to the physicians and staff for the western United States.
As a registered nurse and attorney, Ms. Dixon holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Regis University, a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from Drake University College of Law, and a Registered Nurse Diploma from Saint Luke’s School of Professional Nursing. She is licensed to practice law in Colorado and California.
This speaker has no real or perceived conflicts of interest that relate to this presentation.
April 27; 5:00 p.m. MTN
Access instructions will be emailed to the person completing the order prior to the program date. If you do not receive the instructions at least 24-hours in advance, please contact IHA.