Employee Files: Requirements and Best Practices
June 13 @ 8:00 am - 9:30 am MDT$160 – $320
What’s in your personnel file? Employers must be thoughtful about what employee information is maintained in personnel records, where it is stored, how it is used, who has access to it and how long to keep it. The presenters will cover general guidelines and requirements for maintaining the documentation in your organization’s employee records as well as what should never be placed in the general personnel file. They will share some best practices for document creation, access and reproduction of employee file data, and protecting employee privacy.
* General guidelines for employee personnel files;
* Best practices for personnel documentation:
* Other types of employee files and where to maintain them;
* Data collection, maintenance, and ensuring employee privacy; and
* Records retention requirements.
- Identify what belongs in the general personnel (or employee) file, what other types of employee files you should have and what should never be placed in employee files;
- Define what is expected with regard to confidentiality and ensuring employee privacy regarding specific employee data;
- Restate regulatory retention requirements for certain points of employee data; and
- Discuss some best practices for record creation, security procedures, maintenance and requirements for employee file access.
This session is recommended for human resource leaders or individuals with accountability for employment record creation and maintenance.
Lynne Broussard, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, CCP, GRP, WLCP, EHBA and Susan Thompson, PhD, MHR
Lynne and Susan are Principal-Partners of Value Driven HR, LLC. They have extensive HR experience in all disciplines of HR and in a variety of industries including, but not limited to, healthcare and health services, insurance, lending, manufacturing, health food services, industrial, physical therapy, retail and farming.
Value Driven HR offers HR business solutions spanning across all fields of HR management for small to mid-size companies as a fractional partner and extension of their organization.
June 6; 5:00 p.m. MDT