- This event has passed.
CAH Hospital Swing Bed Requirements
April 21, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 10:00 am MDT$160
This webinar will focus on the protocol and swing bed changes that were promulgated by CMS on October 12, 2018 and amended November 29, 2019. In fact, CMS completely rewrote all of the swing bed regulations, with swing bed interpretive guidelines and survey procedures now under Appendix PP. CMS is also changing all of the CAH tag numbers and the new numbers for the swing beds will be included. Many Critical Access Hospitals (CAH) are not aware of these changes or are struggling to comply. This is a must attend webinar for any CAHs with swing beds.
- How to locate the CAH manual – new website
- CMS Surveyor training materials for CAHs
- Important CMS Memos for CAHs
- Notice of survey
- Revised survey protocol
- Review of telemedicine contract
- 4 changes November 29, 2019 in Hospital Improvement Rule
- Top swing bed deficiencies
- CAH CoP surveyor classes
Special Requirements for CAH Providers of Long-Term Care Services (Swing beds)
- Swing bed regulations rewritten October 12, 2018
- Interpretive guidelines and survey procedure under Appendix PP
- Healthcare literacy
- SNF services
- Resident rights
- Exercise of rights
- Notice of rights and services
- Free choice
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Access and visitation rights
- Personal property
- Married couples
- Admission, transfer and discharge rights
- Transfer and discharge
- Payment of care
- Content of notice
- Resident behavior and facility practices
- Restraints, abuse
- Staff treatment of residents
- Hiring of employees
- Patient activities
- Social services
- Dental requirements changes
- Resident assessment
- Comprehensive care plans
- PASRR or RAI
- Discharge summary
- Provision of services
- Websites for CAH
- CAH resources
By the end of this presentation, learners should be able to:
- Discuss that CMS made some recent changes to the protocol process
- Recall that CMS has rewritten the entire section on swing beds
- Describe what is required by CMS to be in the resident assessment which is done to do the care plan
- Recall the CMS requirements on patient activities of swing bed patients
Anyone who is responsible for taking care of swing bed patients in a CAH or for implementing the CMS swing bed requirements. This includes the following:
CEOs, COOs, CFOs, nurse executives, accreditation and regulation director, nurse manager, pharmacists, quality managers, risk managers, healthcare attorneys, health information management personnel, social workers, dieticians, nurses, nurse educators, nursing supervisors, patient safety officer, director Rehab (OT, PT, speech, pathology, and audiology), infection preventionist, activities director of swing bed patients, and compliance officer.
Sue Dill Calloway is president of Patient Safety and Healthcare Consulting and Education Company where she focuses on medical legal education, especially Joint Commission and the CMS hospital CoPs regulatory compliance. She also lectures on legal, risk management and patient safety issues. Previously, Sue was a director of risk management and patient safety for five years for the Doctors Company, and was the past vice president of legal services at a community hospital in addition to being the privacy officer and the compliance officer. She was a medical malpractice defense attorney for ten years, and has three nursing degrees in addition to a law degree.
She is a well-known lecturer and the first in the country to be a certified professional in CMS. She also teaches the course for the CMS certification program. She has written 102 books and thousands of articles.
The speaker has no real or perceived conflicts of interest that relate to this presentation.
April 14; 5:00 p.m. MDT | Registration fees are for one (1) connection.
Not sure if you’ll be able to make the live session? Everyone who registers will receive a link to the recording of the webinar that you will have 60 days to view at your convenience at no additional charge.